Beef Sausages in Tomato Sauce
This is my design.
A simple tasty and relatively fast meal for two. You could substitute your favourite pasta for the elbow macaroni or even serve over rice.
I specified the Aurora canned cherry tomatoes as I have really been impressed with the rich flavour they have over generic or house brands. You can use whatever floats yer boat of course.
- 1 398ml can Aurora cherry tomatoes
- 6 beef link sausage (breakfast size)
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 Cup dry whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 4 cremini mushrooms sliced thin
- 1/2 small red onion diced
- 1/2 medium sized green pepper sliced into strips
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Red wine
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat, brown sausages pour off fat. Add mushrooms, onion, green pepper, garlic and black pepper.
- Stir and saute for 5 minutes or until mushrooms, onions and peppers soften. Add a small amount of water as required to avoid burning.
- Add tomatos, stir in bring to boil then reduce heat to minimum, cover and simmer, stir a few times for 20 minutes.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, bring water to boil and cook macaroni as directed by packaging. Drain and set aside.
- Add butter and splash of red wine to tomato sauce. Bring to boil for 5 min reduce to low simmer 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Serve over macaroni, top with fresh shredded Parmesan.
- TIP – do not rinse your pasta in water after cooking, the sauce will stick to the past better that way. Really, I wouldn’t lead you astray!!